Cinco de Mayo is the celebration of the classic underdog story. The holiday commemorates the Mexican triumph over a much larger French army in the battle of Puebla way back in 1862. The Mexicans numbered 2,000, the French had 6,000 soldiers. Some historians say that if the French had won, the American Civil War might not have gone the way it did.
But that’s history. Today, the day has become a celebration of Mexican heritage for those who have it, or the celebration of other people’s Mexican heritage for those who don’t. There is no shortage of Mexican restaurants to help people celebrate with some authentic fare and libations.
- Cinco de Mayo Brickell Fiesta Weekend, Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM – Monday, May 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM: Continuing their annual tradition of transforming South Miami Avenue into a festive wonderland, the jubilant street festival of Cinco De Mayo Brickell FIESTA holds nothing back as it honors the holiday. Packs of partygoers take to the streets to enjoy an array of entertainment that only escalates as the sun goes down. Authentic Mexican food served up by numerous street vendors, accompanied by seasonal libations, keeps guests fueled for dancing to a non-stop lineup of music. Mariachis salute mexican heritage with traditional tunes plucked on instruments the size of an average child, and live rock, pop, DJ sets keep the party going late into the night. For tickets visit www.Brickellfiesta.com and use Promocode: “Zevents” for discounted ticket packages.
- Cinco de Mayo on Bimini SuperFast, Port of Miami, 1015 N. America Way, Miami: On Sunday celebrate Cinco de Mayo on the Bimini SuperFast, hosted by Power 96 with live music and dancing, drink bucket specials and a taco bar plus live action table games or slots in two casinos and a Mexican-themed beach party upon arrival in Bimini. Cost is $64.50.
- Cantina Beach, 455 Grand Bay Dr., Key Biscayne: Stilt walkers, DJ, mariachis, complimentary salsa bites and a la carte tacos and tequila.
- Lincoln Road:
- DiLido Beach Club at Ritz-Carlton South Beach, One Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach: Enjoy Cinco and Cervezas from Saturday through Monday with $15 taco platters (carne asada, smoked tomato salsa, mashed avocado) and $5 beers.
- Huahua’s, 1211 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach: Piñatas and an all-day happy hour with $3 beers, $4 margaritas and $10 taco baskets.
- HaVen, 1237 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach: Hosts a “Dos de Mayo” party May 2 with $5 Dos Equis and global small plates.
- Rosa Mexicano, 1111 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach (and also 900 S. Miami Ave., Miami): Offers a $35 specialty menu and drink specials from May 1-5.
- Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort, 19201 Collins Ave., North Miami Beach: Saturday evening starting at 9 p.m. Nelson O performs live, plus 2-for-1 drafts and tequila shots and Mexican culinary staples.
- Duffy’s, 3969 NE 163 St., North Miami Beach: 2-for-1 Patron margaritas, giveaways, a DJ and drip trios from 2-8 p.m. on May 3.
- Naked Taco, 1111 Collins Ave., Miami Beach: Catch $5 margaritas, Mexican luchadores, sexy mariachis, freebies, street food, body painting and more from noon to midnight Sunday and Monday.
Happy Cinco De Mayo, Miami!